Thursday, February 9, 2012

February 28, 1904

From: Helen A. Reardon, South Natick, Mass
To: Mr. Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland, County Kerry

My dear Joe,

We cannot express by writing how much pleased we were to hear from you especially as to your schoolwork.  So many boys nowadays think if they can get rid of school they are happy.  Then when they get too old to go to school, they spend the rest of their days bewailing their foolishness in not going to school longer.

I have written to Washington for particulars about the civil service exams but have not received an answer yet.  As soon as I do, I will send work right away.  It is certain that a good knowledge of geography and modern history would be included.  Of course the better general education one has, the more sure he is to rise if he is suited to his position.  I haven't the smallest doubt that you will be all right.  There is a government examination and then the position is for life or during satisfactory behavior not subject to changes in administration.

How much we should like to see you all.  We try to imagine how you look.

We had not heard of Frank's bad luck.  I hope he is all right again before this.  He has not written us for a long time.  We should like to have him come out to see us, but I suppose he gets tired and rests on Sunday.

We tried to think who the boys were who were with you in school but do not know who they were.

It is dull enough here.  Of course the two shoe-shops run about so, but there is no new business.  There are fewer children in our building than when you were here.  Rich people have bought up the land so that there is little chance for anything but a residential town.  Business is good at Natick center, however.

You may hear from me any day, but I thought the time would seem so long that I would write ahead so you would not give up ever hearing from us.

Miss Bailey is very busy today and asked me to write for her.

I wish Annie would write to us and I am sure you will write again.  When you write, will you tell us how old you are?  We feel sure you will keep on with your studies and we will see what can be done.  There are always positions for straight upright young men.  Miss Smith, Miss Bailey and I send our love to all of you and hope to see you some day.

Sincerely your friend,

Helen A. Reardon

No comments:

Post a Comment