Tuesday, February 14, 2012

December 15, 1904

From: Annie Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 459 Cambridge Street, Allston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Dear Frank,

I suppose you have given thinking of hearing from me and I don't wonder when a whole year has passed since I last wrote. We have received your last two bundles of papers, the book, and your letter, and were very much interested in them. Indeed, the book was lovely. When I received the book I had a very bad sore throat. I had gone out the evening before for the first after my mishap at the merry-go-rounds, which I suppose Joe has told you all about, and it was such a drizzling rainy day that I caught cold. I don't feel quite strong since then; all the others are very well. I don't know if you have heard that I was governess to a bank clerk's little daughter during the summer. They were living at the hotel in the springtime and then they took the house next the Provincial Bank, and I had to go down nearly every day from 3 till 6 o'clock to teach her lessons and take her for a walk. I had to leave in August on account of not being able to teach music and French. So Father has told me to write and ask you for some money to buy an organ or piano so that I could learn and then I could get another situation of the same kind about next April. We would like to have it about the first of the year if possible. I am sending you some photos which Joe took. I had mine taken with the little girl I was teaching, but her mother asked me for it and she has it in her drawing room now. I will close now, wishing you a Happy Christmas.

Yours sincerely,
Annie Gleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment