Sunday, February 19, 2012

August 10, 1905

From: Annie Gleasure, Square, Listowel, County Kerry, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 8 Wadsworth Street, Allston, Massachusetts

My Dear Brother,

I am writing to let you know that we have received all your last letters and papers, and were very thankful for them. They always seem to bring an breath of American air with them. I want to thank you specially for the postcards that you sent they were so very nice: I am making a collection so that is the reason I wanted them. I will send you some next week. Do you collect stamps yet. I suppose you don't have much time for that sort of pleasure now.

We are all well here and doing good business. May, George and Joe are enjoying their vacation now. Indeed, May and George have a pretty long holiday, they have not been to school since Easter. The master they had went to ruin with drink and went into debt and so he went quietly away one morning. Everyone thought he was very accomplished when he came here, the scholars were learning so well. But now there is a lady coming about the end of the month so they will all start in September. We got the organ that I wrote to you about. It came from London but it was made by the Cable Company in Chicago: it is a lovely instrument with a dear sweet tone and costing eleven pounds. A piano would have been too dear.

I am not taking lessons yet so I am going to ask you if you could send me some money so that I could do so. I want to leave town by next year if possible, it is just sickening here. Father is thinking of getting a girl to help in the shop and do the housework, so there will be no need for me to stay.

We have seen Mike since we got your last letter; and do you know that they never expected him home and it was such a surprise to them when he arrived. We haven't seen the little boy yet, he was too much interested in the hens and donkeys to think of coming in, so we expect to go out some Sunday. May is always wishing that you would come home for a while. Do you ever intend to? I hope you will be suxsesful with your work, you ought to try for something easier.

Please excuse this awful scribble as I am writing it near midnight and I am so tired.

I will close now remaining

Yours Affectionately,

Annie Gleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment