Saturday, February 4, 2012

May 26, 1903

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 82 West Canton Street, Boston, Massachusetts

My Dear Brother,

I hope the arrival of this letter will find you well as we all are at present. We got your last letter and the papers you sent all right.

I am going to the college now since the 1st of April. it is not much of a place to go to unless you were going to learn the languages. I want you to tell me whether I will learn any of the languages or not, because it is no good learning them unless I was going to be a doctor, and also I would be wasting my time and money.

I suppose you have something found out about the Customs by this time and if you could find out also the style of writing they have. I suppose it is straight writing like we were taught at school. If you could get a programe for the Customs I think I couldn't do better than stop at home and work myself. I would get on better than than at the College because they only teach them for the English Customs there.

There were over forty left this town last week for America. Among them were Patty Carrol, Henry's brother, Jack Carrol from the Square Dan Garon, two of the Hussy's four of the Mulvihills and a couple from Ballgarrett. The Connor's are not inclined to go anywhere yet either.

I suppose South Natick is changed a good deal since I saw it last. All the fellows that were going to school with me are left I suppose. We are beginning to fell the heat for the last week but ye have it for the last month.

I would be very thankful if you would send me a nice pin I could wear on my coat, one made of hard material, and a design like the "Maine" or some other thing. I will be sending you some "Boys Friends" soon. As I have no more to say I will close.

Your Dear Brother,

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment