Tuesday, February 7, 2012

November 9, 1903

To: Frank Gleasure, 59 Hopedal Street, Allston, Massachusetts
From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland

Dear Brother,

I received your most welcome letter last week and also the cheque. I hope your are in good health as we all are at present. Father had a touch of neuralgia for the last few days but he is all right today.

I suppose ye are beginning to feel the change over there now for winter won't be long more. We had a very wet year up to the present but we are getting a little frost now so the place is pretty dry.

I am getting on very well at school now. I am in the Civil Service Class for the last month nearly. I was only wasting my time learning the languages for they are no use to me. I would like very much if you could tell me the subjects wanted for the Customs in America. I have the book about all the English situations but I don't know what the American ones are. So if you could get any of the little books containing information about the Customs over there you could send them along and then I would know the subjects to study for I intend to try the Customs when I go over. The only thing that is troubling me is, if I should have to know any of the languages for it. The whole thing in any examination is to be a good writer and good at arithmetic and spelling. Trade is very slack these times, even the fairdays are not half so busy as they used to. The priests all around the districts have temperance leagues established and everyone has the pledge taken so there is nothing doing in the liquor business. The town is much the same as when you left only they are building new houses as you go up to the railroad station on the right below the Temperance Room where the thatched houses were. A lot of the shop keepers have put in plate glass windows in there shops too. There are about a dozen plate glass windows already. It gives the town a businesslike appearance.

I was going to write to South Natick to to the Bailey's some time ago but I forgot all about it. But I will write before Christmas. Christmas won't be long more in coming so I will write again very soon and send some cards. I suppose you do have a jolly time at Christmas over there. I wish I was over out of this old hole, but the time won't be long slipping when I will be over among all the old friends.

I suppose you got my last papers and Boy's Friends I sent some time ago. I believe Henry Carroll went down to New York and is stopping long with his brother. I will write again before I get an answer from you because it would be too late to wait for your letter.

I remain,
Your loving brother,

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment