Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January 24, 1903

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 82 West Canton Street, Boston, Massachusetts

Dear Frank,

We received your this morning and were very glad to hear from you. There was only one fall of snow here about two inches deep, but we had three or four nights of hard frost and made the weather very nice. I received the book you sent me all right which was a beauty, and we got the other things also.

Mrs. Julian of Ballybunion is burying to day. There is an amount of people dying here lately. As your were talking of my going to Dublin it would be nearly impossible to get him to send me there unless he got an apprentice and he would hardly do that will I am here. I will be done with the school I am going to in February for we will have the examination then. But the school teacher we have said he could make me up for any situation I would like myself after the examination. I am the only pupil in my class since the Christmas holidays. I would like a position in a drugs store or the Custom House in America. But I would if you could find out if I should know any others language to get in a drugs store over there because you must know latin to be a chemist here. The place and people are changed terribly since you went away. Harry Smith is serving his time in a drugs store now, but he must wait four years fore he will get paid and thats a long time to be wasting a one's time.

If I could but get out to South Natick all the old people would help me on. I would give any thing to get out there now, for this place is nothing but a drinking hole.

That Kiely that you said was long with Dan Murphy is back here again. The two Shaughnessys are in Creaghs office now.

I don't recollect any of the people or places in South Natick that you talk about only a few.

As I have no more to say only that we are in perfect health I will close wishing to see you soon if I can and all the old people.

Your loving Brother,

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment