Friday, June 1, 2012

June 30, 1907

From: Annie Gleasure, Listowel
To: Joseph Gleasure

My dear Joe --

You must have given up hope of ever receiving a letter from us in answer to yours which I got on the 11th. We were glad to hear that you landed safely, we thought you would have a rough voyage for the week you sailed was frightful stormy and rainy. You must be delighted to be out of this hole anyway; I know I would.

We are having very bad weather here this summer, rain mosly every day, no summer in fact. The May fair passed of very quietly. We did more business that day than at any of the former May fairs. There was an awful crowd in town though not so very much cattle. Jane was helping in the shop, so they had no bother. We haven't got any boy for the shop yet. I don't think the pater will get one now until after the school holidays are over. They haven't got their holidays yet.

There was a feis held at Lixnaw on the 16th and May, George and the pater went out to it; George was entered for the violin playing and when he got out he found there was to be no junior players. Jimmey went for it too and was beat out by Fitsgerald and he is rageing ever since.

They met Paul Dillon at the station just as they were coming home; he had a Mrs. O'Brien, one of Big Ned's daughters coming over with him. They are to go over again at the end of the summer. I wish I could go over soon, I think if I stay here much longer I'll go mad. There are any amount of Americans in town here. Hugh Cuthbertson sailed for New York on the 30th of May. We heard after that Tom Buckley went on the same day, it seems he stole away from home. There were quite a number of people asking where you were on the big fair day, they could hardly believe you had gone. Have you met many Listowel people over there yet?

There isn't anything new in this town, except sports, or something or other on today and the annual sports are to be held on the 21st of July next, also a bazaar on the 30th and 31st of July. Tom Kirby was buried on the 30th last month. Are you at the same work yet? You didn't mention what pay you were getting. Why wouldn't you get some foot powder for your feet, if they ache so; I'm sure you could get it at any druggist shop, you know you shake it inside your boots and stockings: it makes walking much easier.

Have you been to see the Dillons or out to South Natick yet?

I am sending a post card for Frank in this letter. I couldn't send it by post for the tinsel would get all rubbed off.

I can't think of any more to say now so I will close wishing you every success and remaining

Yours Sincerely,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment