Wednesday, June 6, 2012

August 29, 1907

From: Annie Gleasure, Square, Listowel, Co. Kerry, Ire.
To: Frank Gleasure, 28 Herrick St. Brighton, Mass. U.S.A.

Dear Frank,

I'm afraid its no use making excuses for not writing to you long ago but I would rather do any sort of work than sit down and write a letter.  But any way, as I wrote to Joe on Tuesday last, I said I wouldn't let the week go by without writing to you.  So here goes.

First of all we are quite well here and we got your books that you sent May and I, the pater received the history and we got the photos yesterday morning.  May's came out very nice, didn't it?  but when you get this, stick mine in some corner out of sight.

George went back to school last Monday after the vacation.  He spent three weeks out at James Conners, the house at Tullig is quite filled so he couldn't go there.  The only day that May got away for her holidays was last Sunday when we went out to Pat Carrolls for the day: very nice place out there, our first time going there too.  You will be surprised to hear that Henry Carroll came home about a month or so ago.  He had a fearful cold for the last three months before he came, so I believe the doctor ordered him home.  He was in hospital quite a time over there, but he is getting better now.  He says that he wrote to you for over a year after he left Annie Dillons and never got a reply from you.  Perhaps you would write to him when you get this, he was asking May for your address but I don't think she gave it.

There is no fun here, it's an awfully dull place and no one to make up with.  The McCarthy girls are generally away visiting or some where: they were at school in Belgium up to last August.  They are quite grand people now, they don't live in town now but out at Woodford House.  They wouldn't go near their shop at all.  They don't make up with anyone here either except us and the Patersons.  Their brother Jack that went to So. Africa seven years ago returned last spring.  I was out there when they got the letter saying he was coming and they nearly cheered the roof off the house.

Jenny Sweetman was at school in England for the last year or so and Eva has gone now.  There brother Dick is a regular duffer after all the schooling he got he couldn't pass an exam for the bank: he's only loafing about town now.  We are rather busy just now, the pater is doing up the top rooms papering and painting etc., so May has to stay in the shop mostly all the time.  she doesn't care about it atall.  We haven't got any boys yet.  I suppose you must have some jolly times over their.  I don't know Annie Buckley or Beatrice Grogan that you write about but I knew Eileen and I was introduced to Katie Buckley just the evening before she went away.  How are they getting on now?  I suppose they wouldn't live here by any chance now.  It must have been a glorious time during Old Home Week.  Have you been out to So.. Natick lately.  If you have seen Miss Reardon Miss Bailey, Mrs. Burr lately tell us how they are getting on.

The old folks at Tullig are very well, they appear just about the same as when you knew them.  They don't come to town very often.  Old Mrs. Fitzell was buried on the fifteenth of this month.  I suppose you know that Fanny Parkinson was married to John Fitzell?  Marianne Parkinson is in a drapery shop in King's Co., and Frankie is married to a sister of Adam's wife.  Richard Parkinson left the police force at the commencing of the month and he doesn't know what to do with himself.  Tom is coming out later on.

Tom and Pat Dillon went away yesterday after their holidays.  Ned couldn't come just yet on account of a strike in Belfast.  Tom is in Queenstown now, he has to go out on the ferry when passengers are coming from America to see that every thing is all right.  Ned is in Kildare and Pat is in Cork.  Bridget was married to a man living about two miles from their place, so the old couple have to live and do for themselves now.  Lizzie Carroll goes down when there is any heavy work to do.  We are to have the races here in six weeks time, on the eigth and ninth of October, and I wonder if you could send May and I the price of dresses: we havn't a rag to put on.  I havn't been out to the races for the last three years.

I am writing this in a hurry so that I shall get it done for if I leave of it will be an age before I'm in a mood for writing again.  Hoping you will excuse the scribbling, I will remain

Yours affectionately with love to you and Joe  Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment