Wednesday, January 11, 2012

October 21st, 1897

From: Martha Hartwell, South Natick, Mass
To: Frank Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland

Dear Frank,

I rec'd your letter and was glad to hear from you. You will think I have delayed answering a long time but I have been unusually busy and my time quite occupied and so much noise and confusion that I could hardly do anything. I think I told you my brother was having a house built on the side of the old barn, but he is not here himself. Four of his family came on from the Sandwich Islands a few weeks ago and have been with me. Two of them have gone away to school now one in Cambridge and one in Boston. Charles, a boy of sixteen, is going to [fit?] for Harvard College. Mr. Emerson has a call to a school in Lynn and leaves here next week I think. I should think he was a fine teacher and would be missed here. Tomorrow we have our annual fair and supper at the chapel. I wish you were here to take down my beans and [fries?] as you used to. Mr. [Rais?] lives all alone since his father died. Charlie Richardson adds a few stamps to mine which you may not have he says. And if you should have an extra one of some rare kind he would like one from you. He has quite a collection. I did not receive any papers you spoke of sending.

I shall be glad to hear from you again. With kind remembrance to you all. Very sincerely,

MM Hartwell

1 comment:

  1. Martha Hartwell was the sister of Alfred S. Hartwell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_S._Hartwell, who she refers to in this letter as coming over from the Sandwich Islands

    ReplyDelete