Thursday, January 12, 2012

January 15th, 1900

From: Helen Reardon, South Natick, Mass
To: Frank Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, IReland

My dear Frank,

We have not by any means forgotten you even if it does seem so. And we wish very much to hear from you. I was wondering if you might not be thinking of South Africa, though I hope not. The last time I heard from you, nothing but a solider's life seemed to please you, but by this time, I hope you have thought of something different.

I will try and tell you the news that will interest you, but I scarcely know how to begin. Our family are all about the same. Mr. Bailey goes to Boston everyday. Fred is engaged to be married to a very nice girl in Natick, but he will not be married before next summer. Miss Smith is here and always sends her love to all of you, especially to Joe who was her favorite I guess.

George Faston (the son) went to the Phillipine Islands but came back again. His vravery would not hurt him I guess.

Howard Williams is very sick and is not expected to live. He is in the new hospital which has been built since you went away, about half way between here and Natick. Howard is a nice steady boy and every one feels bad. Oscar Hancock is very sick too but he is a miserable gambling drinking fellow and it would be better for him to die than not. His father an dmotehr are heartbroken, but nothing will turn him from his evil ways.

How much we would like to see you all. Florence Favour inquires for you when she writes. She is in Rochester, New York with her mother and brother. She graduated from Welleseley College last summer. She is a fine looking girl. There has been a new business block built between Bartlett's store and Mr. Hunting's. One of the Pfeiffer boys built it. He has a store and lives upstairs. Prices are coming up here, both provisions and dry goods. We are beginning to feel the revenue tax and I should think England would feel it too. I hear the people of Ireland sympathize with the Boors, but I think I should prefer to live in a British colony rather than with the Boors. I do not fancy them.

The Burrs are all well. You may remember that Mrs. Burr had a sister that married a Capt. Cuthbert and who lived in a fort in Canada. His family have come to live with the Burrs and he is on his way to South Africa. He has been promoted to Major. I should think his chances for coming back were very slim.

If there is any other news that you would like to know about, let us know and we would be glad to write. My mother had a shock last summer and she has not been well enough to do for herself since which makes it very hard for me.

I was thinking of you yesterday (Saturday) when I was sweeping and dusting and wondering if you remembered it.

How is Annie? I suppose she is a nice young lady now.

Tell us how you all are getting on, etc.

With love from us all

Your sincere friend,

Helen A. Reardon

No comments:

Post a Comment