Monday, January 23, 2012

April 9, 1902

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 82 West Canton Street, Boston, Mass.

Dear Brother,

I think it is time I should write now, as it is nearly a year since you left us. Things have changed greatly around the town since, the bank near McCarthy's is nearly finished they are putting the roof on now. Tim Curtin buried his wife Good Friday, and Earnest Hill was buried on Christmas Eve. Peter Buckley was going for a railway situation in Dublin and when he got there the Doctors said he wasn't fit for the work so he came home again, and when he got home he ran off towards abbeyfeale and his father followed him with a car and brought him home and then he was sent to the Asylum.

There is a new master at the Protestant School, whose name is Mr. Lennox. He has two little girls of 11 and 6, and a little boy about year old. He is a very nice man and a good teacher. His wife is teaching the girls how to sow and knit. He is teaching me Latin, Euclid, Algebra, and Mensuration which I have to pay him a little for, and I will be asking you to send me some money, as my father I don't think would pay it for me if I asked him before I began to learn them and I didn't tell him yet that I was learning it.

However, it all isn't much, and you might not miss a pound for them all. I think the latin would be from five shillings to ten a quarter, and the other three extras about a half crown a quarter. It will all come to about sixteen or eighteen shillings a quarter and write soon and tell me wheather you will send it or not which I suppose you will, because the quarter is nearly up. I am progressing beautifully from them, and people can't get on in the world nowadays without knowing some of these languages and other things.

We are doing pretty fair business these times. Your grandmother and grandfather are as strong now as when you saw them last. We are all well and strong hoping you are the same I here enclose.

Your affectionate brother,
Joseph Gleasure

I will send you some papers soon, and a few Boy's Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment