Sunday, January 8, 2012

July 13, 1898

From Helen Reardon: 114 West Main Street, Westboro, Mass.
To Frank Gleasure: The Square, Listowel, Ireland

My dear Frank,

I should not blame you at all if you got all out of patience with us for not sending your Phillipines stamps but they are on the way now. I did not think best to patronize the dealer that would send them for 10 cents. Though he may be alright, I am sure of these which I send. They are 35 cents and come from the Scott Stamp and Coin Co. of New York. There is an exposition in Omaha, Nebraska this summer, much like the World's Fair, though not as extensive. And they have stamps which I will use to send this and a package. Save every one as they double in value in a short time. We are now feeling the effects of the war. They commenced the first of July to use the revenue stamps. I will send you as many as I can get a hold of. Mr. Bailey has to stamp every check he gives in payment to help, etc. And for every package you send, you must put on a penny tax.

I suppose you were very much puffed up when you read the marvelous feats of our seamen. I read yesterday that the 9th Mass were at the front in the trenches before Santiago. Frank Schuman, Willie Godendorf, Charlie Schneider, Fred Cook, and several other South Natick boys are there in the 9th. There was a fearful loss in the 2nd Mass two weeks ago, but now they are going to put in more artillery. So perhaps the 9th will fare better as they advance. I imagine the Britishers looked a little sideways when they saw what we can do without a navy as they said at first before the war was on. I'm afraid the Cubans are a poor lot and scarcely worth saving, but foreign powers will better undestand us. And another thing, the north and south are all one now fighting for the same cause side by side.

Miss Bailey is well and would send love to you all if she knew I was writing. Tell us how all the children are. We do not forget one of you. This spring, we set one of the prettiest pink geraniums we could find on your mother's grave. I hope you are all good children like what she was so anxious to have you. How I would like to see you all.

I am very tired today and I have not written very well. I will send the stamps in a separate letter.

With love to all the children, I am your friend

Helen A. Reardon
Westboro, Mass
114 West Main St.

No comments:

Post a Comment