Friday, January 27, 2012

November 14, 1902

From: Joseph Gleasure, Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure: 82 West Canton Street, Boston, Mass.

Dear Brother,

I think it is high time to write now, and I am very sorry I didn't write sooner. I received the money you sent me alright and am very thankful to you. I wrote you a letter about July or August, and I didn't hear anything about it since, but I hope you got it. I am getting on excellent at school, and I am at the extras yet. We haven't got to pay at all for learning them after all, and then I can learn German and Greek if I like the master said, free of charge, so I have a great opportunity. I am on the best of terms with the master, and he didn't have to speak cross or slap me yet.

There are a great many deaths occurring around Listowel districts lately. The last Races in October there was a jockey killed. Over near Leary's, the horse slipped and fell over the man twice and crushed all his insides. He was unconscious for about two days and a half and then died.

Peter Buckley do be down with Jim Moloney driving the engine every day. The 28th of October last was very busy. I was in the shop from 7:30 to 9 o'clock.

I suppose you received my father's letter and papers that he sent about six weeks ago. I will send you some more Boy's Friends soon, for I am sure you would like them. When writing to me next, please tell me a nice suitable occupation that would suit me when I go over.

We are all well at present. Hoping this letter will find you the same.

I remain,
Your affectionate brother,
Joseph Gleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment