Thursday, January 10, 2013

December 16, 1926

From: Annie Gleasure, The Square, Listowel
To: Frank Gleasure, 89 Surrey Street, Brighton, Mass. U.S.A.

Dear Frank,

The end of the year has almost come round again, and with it the time to exchange the Christmas greetings.  Time flies so quickly and it seems so short since I last heard from you.  I wrote you in answer to that but I suppose you had been so busy over one thing and another that you had no time to write.  I'm really sorry I didn't go over to you long ago, and even, I always said I would when Father would have no need of me.  But then my health was not good and I thought it just as well to stay here.  People here said America was not a good country and that the work was very hard, is that so?  I had been up to Mai last month I was looking for a house to start buisness but the rent of any decent place would be four or five pound a week and that would not suit as I'd have to board myself also, so I failed in my object.  The city was lovely I like a busy place all bustle, etc.  Round here is always dull and trade is very slack.  Mai has two very nice children, the eldest boy is very smart and quick to learn, he has been going to school a few months, but he is down with the measles at present.  The youngest is very like a photo of you that we have, when taken very young and he is very fond of music.  How are you getting on now with your family I suppose the most of them are going to school.  I know it is rather hard trying to look after your home and then going out to work, but all the same you won't feel them growing up.  Are there any Listowel people round where you live, or do you ever come across any of the Dillons.  All the people here are quite well, old James Connor of Mount Cole is alive still he is nearly ninety years of age, but never comes to town now.  His son John's wife had a little boy two months ago they called it James and the old man is crazy about it.  Well I must close now wishing you all a

Happy Xmas and a Bright New Year
from Your Affectionate sister Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment