Thursday, July 26, 2012

June 6, 1909

From: May Gleasure, The Square, Listowel
To: Frank Gleasure, 4 Franklin St. Allston, Mass U.S.A

My dearest Frank,

I received your letter a few days ago and was very glad to hear from you.  I hope you are well as we all are at present.  I have got my teeth they are a lovely set, I found them very awkward at first but I am quite used to them now, it is too bad about your teeth decaying they must be awfully dear over there to say that you have to pay 8 pound to settle them.  I suppose you did not hear about the tax that was put on liquids and other things over here, the government wants L15 millions this year so they have put on a tax There is 2/9 put on every gallon of whiskey and 8 pence a pound raised on tobaco and all the factorys and manufacturing places are taxed even the motor cars has to pay so much a year, & the licenses are twice the amount now according to the population, I think the people in Listowel will have to pay about L12 pound licenses now instead of L [6 7.6?].  How are times going now over there they are very slow here.  The Annual Big Sports are going to be on the 29th June.  and the Tralee Races are to be on the 16th and 17th June.  I don't think that we will have any races in Listowel this year.  I hope you will not forget to send that book that I asked you for I want it badly and as soon as I can get it.  We never get a letter from Mrs Morris now I don't think we got one for the las 8 or 9 months.  Father did not say anything about what you said about Annie yet.  It would be nearly time that she had something to do for herself now.  I suppose you know about the cheap fare that is from America over to this country has Mrs Morris any talk of coming home this summer, because she was going to come last year to see the old people.  They were in from Tullig last Friday they are very strong for their age especially the old man.  they are getting the old age pension 10/ shillings a week fro the two.  I hope that you will write very soon again and don't forget the book

I remain
Your loving sister
Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment