Thursday, March 22, 2012

October 28, 1906

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 22 Herrick Street, Brighton, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

My Dear Frank,-

I think it is about time I should write and let you know how we are getting on at home. I would write oftener but there is not much of interest going on here.

We are just beginning to get the winter here now. To-day (Sunday) is the coldest day we had yet, with rain and sleet falling very often. The weather this Summer was not so hot as past years, rain falling mostly every second day. And the crops are all very bad in consequence.

We had our annual two days Races about three weeks ago, and past off alright with the exception of a man being drowned in the Castle Hole and didn't come to the surface for fourteen days. To-morrow we will have the October big fair. The fairs are nearly twice as big as when you were here, and our business is rapidly increasing every year.

I am sending you a few pictures I took this Summer. Two of them are pictures of a circus procession and another is a picture of a fair. I expect to have some more very soon.

Is it long since you were in South Natick? I would like to live there for a while if I could get a suitable job there. It is nice to live in the country after being shut up in the city for a long time. Tending bar would be a nice job for me to take up when I go over being so well up in it here. I would like to learn some light trade such as a barber or a motor engineer that would stand to you wherever you go.

We got those bundles of papers alright. The people out at Tullig are all well. The old man is very feeble now. I hope you will write soon again. As I have no more of interest to write, I will close remaining

Your loving brother,

Joe Gleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment