Tuesday, March 20, 2012

July 30th, 1906

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 22 Herrick Street, Brighton, Massachusetts U.S.A

Dear Frank,-

I hope this letter will find you in good health as we all are at home. We received your last letter about two weeks ago and are glad you are doing well. The great Summer heat is beginning to leave ye by now I suppose. We had no Summer weather this year, we have rain mostly every second day since the first of May.

May and George have vacation now and will be going to the country this week maybe. May is growing very big and stout lately. She is nearly as big as myself now.

I was more than surprised when you told father you wouldn't take me out till next Spring after you promised me you would send for me this year. By any chance, I will not wait till next year. If father does not send me next month, I will get a job myself in some grocery and spirit house and then go myself next year. I could not stop here any longer. I have given up studying all together, for I couldn't study and mind the shop both. All my schooling will be useless if I stop here another year. Send for me next month if you possibly can and you will not be sorry.

There are a great many coming back this year from America, but next year there will be any amount come, there being a cheap fare to the Dublin Exhibition. Jerry Carroll came back again too a few weeks ago.

Have you seen Mike Dillon since he was in this country. Paul has finished school this year, but is too young to be ordained. He will be going out to Washington, DC in September.

I suppose you never came across Pat Sullivan yet. You would hardly know him anyway.

Adam and his people are all well, but the old man is a bit feeble and stiff. All the Parkinsons are at home now on vacation, three policemen and Maryanne. There was another one of them died after completing his term in the London police about a year ago. I will close now as I have no more of interest to write.

Your loving brother,

Joseph Gleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment