Friday, March 23, 2012

December 15, 1906

From: Joseph Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Ireland
To: Frank Gleasure, 22 Herrick Street, Brighton, Boston, Massachusetts

My Dear Brother,

I hope the arrival of this letter will find in good health as we all are at home. I should have wrote sooner but I hadn't much of interest to write times are so dull on this side.

We got your bundle of papers a few weeks ago, and Georgie got his books alright.

Ye are having pretty fair weather now I believe but we are getting some winter weather here.

I saw Miss Buckley around before she went over. She was working in Waterville I believe before. There was another sister of her's went over at the time Mike Dillon was going back. Jack Dooling is at home now. He got very stout since he went. The people here are expecting a great crowd back next Spring.

You seem to have a pretty good job now. I hope I will get a nice job when I will go over. I would like to be leaving about the latter part of March for America. There are a lot of young fellows going over next Spring for there are no prospects for them here. Even the laboring class have no work to get this winter and tradesmen are working for eight and nine shillings a week.

I am following my physical exercises all the time. I intend to join a gymnasium when I go over if I get the chance. We have a one erected in the Sports Field for the last two years, but they seem to be getting no good out of it.

We are sending you a nice pocket case and some post cards with views of Listowel and district. I think it will be rather late when they get over. If you would care for and newspapers I will send some after Christmas.

I will close now as I have no more of interest to write wishing you a merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Your Loving Brother

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment