Wednesday, November 7, 2012

September 16, 1915

From: May Gleasure, The Square, Listowel, Co Kerry. Ire.
To: Frank Gleasure, 36 Litchfield St. Brighton, Mass. U.S.A.

Dear Frank,

I received your most welcomed letter about a week ago and was very glad at hearing from you once again, I was thinking of writing to you this time back but I thought I'd get a letter from you every day.

I am very glad to hear that ye are all well we are about the same over here, the weather is commencing to get wet again now its an awful place for rain here although we had a fairly good summer only the month of July being very showery.  Ye must have a splendid time at the sea-side its well for ye there is no such luck for us here at home.  I was out at Ballybunion a few Sundays during the summer, there was not much people staying out there this year unaccount of the war, this war has upset this country to an awful extent, and its feared it will be worse I am sure they will tax our trade again that is spirits and beer all so tobacco and tea parliament is to be going on this week and we'll know it then.  Do you think the Americans will go to war at all, I suppose they hardly will to say they did not do so before this.

I did not get those papers or music yet I hope you won't forget them, and the next time you will be getting me any music if you got a book of songs (it dosen't matter whether its a hard or paper cover, the paper cover is just as good and comes out cheaper) the books are a lot better then the sheet music and then you have to pay so much for each of those sheets and you would get fine songs in the books I allways look out for the books here at home myself, is there any chance you would be able to get me a book of "Waltzes" I am not able to get a good selection of Waltzes here at home so I hope you will look out for them over there for me.  George is working away very hard at his trade he is going ahead alright with it he has only twelve months more to serve now.  Tom Dillane got married this summer, do you ever see any of his sisters now or do you come across Mike at all.  I wonder did they hear of Tom's marriage.  I was up at Cork City on Sunday last I suppose you are surprised to say I was let you bet it was a surprise to myself to say he let me go, it was a football match that was going on between Kerry and Cork.  I'd do anything to see a football match especially when it would be the famous Kerry team.  We are looking forward now to the Races they are to be on the 12th & 13th October.  I never go to them I have to stop and mind the business everyone of the rest of them go out to them.  I have not being at them for 9 years now.  I heard that Mary Buckley is going back to America again this month did you hear her sisters saying anything about it.  I don't think I have anymore to write about just at present Hoping I will hear from you very soon again and don't forget to send the music if you can I will now close with best wishes to self and family I remain
Your loving sister
Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment