Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September 27, 1912

From: May Gleasure, The Square, Listowel
To: Frank Gleasure, 4 Bayard St. Allston, Mass U.S.A.

Dear Frank,

I received your most welcomed letter a few days ago and was delighted to hear from you we were so sorry to hear that you are going through a little trouble with the baby it must be very hard on you unaccount of working hard during the day and then having to stop up by night with her but I hope that ye are alright again by this.  We had a most wretched summer here this year nothing but rain all the time it will give you a kind of an idea of it when you hear that the River Feale overflowed its banks in August there were some cattle destroyed by it.  but we have very good weather here for the last three weeks Mrs Connor died on the 6th Aug we were all out at the funeral it was said that it was the largest funeral that went to Kilflynn within the last 10 years.  James and the boys miss her very much now as they have nobody to look after anything for them only a servant girl.  We are going to have the Listowel Races on the 15 & 16 Oct.  we will also have a coursing match in November those things are no good to me as I have no enjoyment out of them only extra work we are never let to anything like that George & father goes to them.  We have got electric light in the town now and in all the houses they won't light it until the first night of the races it will be a great improvement in the town.  I am learning to play an accordian now  I got a present of a most beautiful one from a boy that I am acquainted with.  I hope you won't forget to send me that book of music and be sure and send the one I asked you for.  I did not get the newspapers yet.  By the way I must tell you that I was very disappointed when I heard that you did not call the baby what you were going too.  I am going to send her a little present soon but I won't have any time until after the races for doing so as we have no apprentice now I am kept very busy.  I hope you will never be so long in writing to me again and Hoping this will find ye all back in best health again as we all are at home  I remain
Your loving sister Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment