Thursday, October 11, 2012

June 26, 1913

From: May Gleasure, The Square, Listowel
To: Frank Gleasure, 4 Bayard Street Allston, Mass. U.S.A.

My dearest Frank,

I received your most welcomed letter a few days ago and was delighted at hearing from you.  We are all quite well here at home.  but we have some very bad weather all the time, we have had no summer as yet nothing but rain almost every day.  I suppose ye have some very good weather over there before now.  Katy Buckley did not call to see us since she came home but I see her out walking a few evenings ago but I had one of the opposite sex along with me I suppose she did not like to stand and speak to me, Nell Dowling was speaking to her and she told her all about you how that you had a splendid time and a lovely place.  There are a lot of people at home here in the town from America within the last month.  Its a wonder you never think of taking a trip home.  I suppose you'll hardly ever again come back here and it's no wonder, Listowel is an awful dull old place I wished I could leave it in the morning.  There was an awful highway robbery committed here on the 2nd June about 6 miles from Listowel it was a banker that used to carry money from this to Abbeyfeale and four masked men jumped out from behind the ditch and took L780 = 5/ from them I am sending you the paper about it.  I am also sending you some more Photo's of myself the one on the post card is more like me than any of the others.  I hope you'll take out yours and send them to us, it was an awful pity you did not take the baby's Photo, I would love to have seen it.  Jim Connor is laid up sick since last January it was a cold he got and did not mind himself and then he got pains all over him and he is not over them since none of them got married yet although they want a housekeeper badly they have nobody with them only a servant girl James is getting old now its time he gave up the place to one of them.  Do you get any music in the newspapers now if you do I hope you'll keep them for me.  and don't forget to send us some papers to read as I am always in the shop now I like to have something to be reading so I hope you'll send me something I did not get the letter from your wife yet I hope she has not forgotten to write to me.  and I hope you'll write yourself again soon I will now close for this time Hoping ye are well
I remain
Yours loving sister
Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment