Thursday, December 6, 2012

June 8, 1919

From: May Gleasure
To: Frank Gleasure, 36 Litchfield St. Brighton, Mass. U.S.A.

[Opened by Censor]

Dear Frank,

I'm sure you'll wonder why you have not heard from me with such a long time, in fact you'll be surprised to hear that I'm not at home now but in the city Cork, for the last few months.  I got sick of being stuck at home all the time with neither pay or pleasure.  in fact I'm sick of this country altogether. George is at home now in the shop.  I've a place here in the city the same kind of work, of course I don't get much pay there's not pay in this country for a persons labour I like being out, the only thing I don't like being away from Annie, as they are all for themselves George would not allow father to send me any money or help me in any way now and he says I'm never again to face home as I did not stop there when I was there so after all my time I'm not to get anything from them.  Annie writes to me every week and when you are writing to me you can enclose it to her as I may not be sure of my address here and she will send it on to me then.  I'm not staying with any of the Dillons I don't care to stay with them I'm lodging with a girl I knew is Listowel who is now married in the city here.  Would you advise me to stay in this country or not I would like to know your opinion about it.  I hope you and all in your care are quite well, your little ones must be getting big now.  I suppose you did not hear yet that Aunt Kate died in Dublin on East Sunday, she was suffering from her stomach, for a short time.  I don't know what will happen to her family now and some of them are young yet I hope you'll answer this by return as I'll be on the look-out for it and I'll write a much longer letter next time.  Hope this will find you all in the best  Iremain
Your loving sister
Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment