Friday, February 15, 2013

September 27, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo. Gleasure 7709, COA 15th Bat. 1st Platoon, Camp Wheeler, Georgia
To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston, Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa.-

I didn't mention in my first letter which should arive at the same time as this one but what I want to know is if you can pick up a small travelers electric iron in Liggits.  Dont get anything expensive they have them made to fold up flat and go into a box.  I don't want anything too costly as I probably will be doing a lot of traveling.  You people think you have heavy rain storms up there, well you should be here today and yesterday.  its been pouring steady with a high gale.  I think it might be the tale end of that hurricane that wiped out Camp Huber in Texas.  I received a letter from Madeline yesterday and she mentioned that she has not heard from you for some time.  She asked me if I had heard from you, I told her that I did but that the others are too busy with other things to be bothered writing.  I was talking to some of the boys here about the railroad unit & they seem to be of the opinion that the paratroops are the ones who handle that end of the work.  I don't think I'd care much for jumping out of a plane five or six thousand feet in the air, but you can inquire from Pacillis and see what's what.  Well I've got to close so I can get my clothes, shoes & gun ready for tomorrow.  If they want more than three dollars for an iron don't get it  Don't send by express, just regular mail because if it comes any other way I've got to go through a lot of red tape to get it.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment