Tuesday, February 12, 2013

September 16, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo. Gleasure 7709 C.A. 15th Batallion 1st Platoon, Camp Wheeler, Macon, Georgia
To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa,-

I received your letter this afternoon in the last mail and also one from Martha.  There isn't much I could do about my eyes as far as sentry duty at night is concerned because every man in the camp has to stand guard when his turn comes and when I go on at night I don't have to make up any time, if I was on days I'd have to make up the time lost at drill.  I haven't spoken yet about the pain in my side because I was out on the range to qualify for marksman and we could not be away from there unless it was absolutly necessary.  Well anyway I think I made the mark.  I tried to quality on the automatic rifle but don't know yet how I'll come out, tomorrow we go out for machine gun instructions, things certainly move fast around here.  Has Theresa got home?  If so tell her to write.  How was the weather up there today, down here the heat would fry eggs.  Well this is all the news for now.

George

I"m going to see the docto tomorrow or the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment