Wednesday, February 6, 2013

August 26, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo. Gleasure, COA 15th Training Batallion, 1st Platoon, Camp Wheeler, Macon, Georgia
To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston (Boston), Massachusetts

Dear Pa-

I got your letter at this noon's mail call & was glad to here from somebody back home.  I don't like this country down here at all, the people from around here are not very sociable at all  I haven't been into Macon yet but those that have tell me that the people have little or no use for a soldier.  You don't have to waste paper like that when you write, you can write on boath sides because I don't think they sensure any letters other than those that go outside of the country and if they do they don't cut out any parts, they will just blot the words they dont want us to see they have a regular blot out stamp for that purpose.  Teddy might have been out looking for me the time he was gone for a week, because he used to sit up in front of Moskos every nite till he saw me coming.  I wrote to Madeline the other day but I'm not sure whether I had the adress rite or not, but I think it is 717 El Dorado Ave. Valejo Cal.  If this is wrong tell me.  How did Jimmy make out with his girl & Shepherd?  Tell Theresa, Jimmy & Martha to write I want to here from everybody back in Allston, it's the only enjoyment I have here because I'm holed up in this place and things are about the same every day, same old thing fall out for this & fall out for that they keep us on the jump from 5.30 in the morning till 9.00 at nite and the drilling is tough as hell, I don't know if I can stand up under it on account of the heat or not but I'll hang on anyway and see.  Are you thinking of having your sister come to live with the family?  I got the check alright and it come in handy.  Thanks.  I can't tell you much of what is going on down here because we are not alowed to mention anything of a millitary nature to anybody.  Well I think I'll sign off now as there isn't any more news from here for now.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment