Tuesday, March 19, 2013

October 8, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo F Gleasure 7709, Co A. 15th Bn. 1st Platoon, Camp Wheeler, Macon, GA
To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa.-

I received your letter this evening when I got back from work, they had me on kitchen police for two days now & I still have one more to go.  They pay you $50 per month and you earn every cent of it too.  That k.p. is a killer you have thirteen & one half hours a day for three days & the start in by getting you out of bed at 4.30 am.  it seems that you no sooner shut your eyes when some monkey is yelling "fall out."  I figured that sooner or later somebody would clamp down on that draft board, its about time somebody did & I hope they put some of those rats in a camp like this one.  Yes I got the letter from Madeline & also a card but where did they get that name they hung on the kid?  If you can't get an iron let it go Ill get by with out it.  Did Jimmy make out alright in the Masons?  I'll never get used to the heat down here because it doesn't seem natural for it to be hot this time of the year.  Well this is about all the news there is from this end so I'll close now as I get up at four thirty in the morning.

Luck

George

No comments:

Post a Comment