Monday, September 10, 2012

August 14, 1911

From: May Gleasure, The Square Listowel
To: Frank Gleasure, 437 Cambridge St. Allston, Mass. U.S.A.

Dearest Frank,

A few lines hoping it will find you in good health as we all are here at present.  The old man out at Tullig passed away on the 27 July.  he was sick for a few week before he died and was very troublesome as he was quite helpless and had to be handled very gently Father George and I were out at the Wake he had both a very large wake and funeral.  i stopped out there for a fortnight after the funeral.  Annie got your letter this morning and is very thankful for what you sent her.  I had to laugh when I heard you were getting married just imagine how the time flies you never told us what the girls name was about last Xmas Nell Dowling and Annie Buckley's sister was telling us that you were married and that you had turned a Catolic  I wonder is it true  I did not give it a thought since until I saw it mentioned in your letter this morning.  I hope you will be lucky anyway and that you will enjoy a long happy married life.  Write to me as soon as you can and tell me all about her as I would like to know what kind my future sister-in-law will be.  I am not playing the organ since the old man died and I miss it very much we will be hardly able to play now for a little while now as father would not like too I was in Tralee a few weeks ago and got my Sticky Backs taken I will send you one when I get them  I got those last papers all right  I hope you will send some more soon we have awful heat here also we had a dreadful thunderstorm last Friday night.  I don't think I have any more to say at present so I will close Hoping you will write very soon
I remain
Your loving sister
Mai.

1 comment:

  1. Three huge pieces of news, two of them totally unexpected and fairly momentous. Frank has converted to Catholicism and he is married. It is hard to believe that he would just drop these two bombshells into a casual letter to his sister, even though the news had preceded the letter as gossip.
    I wonder if Nell Dowling was a Kerrywoman.
    The passing of "the old man out at Tullig" was anticipated for some time and looks as if it were as a relief to all in the end.

    ReplyDelete