Tuesday, October 29, 2013

December 27, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo. F. Gleasure, Co E. 12th Infantry, Camp Gordon, Augusta, Ga.
To: Mr. Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa, -

I received your letter & card & was glad to hear that everything is okay up there. I also got a package from Madeline & Tom yesterday, it had a military pen & pencil set in it & some handkerchiefs, both of which I needed. I went up to the post exchange to buy some handkerchiefs the other day & they wanted $1.65 for six of them so I didn't by, so you can see from that what things cost here. Today is Sunday & its a duty day so we have to remain here & can't go out anywhere they are getting worse & worse all the time, Friday was Christmas & it also was a day of work, its getting so that when it comes Sunday or a holiday you can expect work & plenty of it. As yet there is no sign of the railroad magazines, I'll write & let you know when they come, the only way to send anything to this place is by air mail then it will get here otherwise you take a gamble on it getting through, this part of the country is 60 years behind the times. Well there isn't much to say so I'll close now hoping that you had a good holiday up there.

Luck
George

No comments:

Post a Comment