Wednesday, March 20, 2013

October 15, 1942

From: Pvt. Geo. F. Gleasure 7709, CoA. 15th Bn. 1st Platoon., Camp Wheeler. Macon, GA.
To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street. Allston Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa.-

I received word the other day that Jimmy goes up for his exam on friday and what I want to find out is if he went to get those tools I told him to get.  He's the only one there who knows where to go & Id like to have him get a car & bring them home before he goes away.  Have you written any letters lately?  because if you did I haven't been getting them, I haven't received any mail at all for over a week & a half now so I was wondering if there is any stoppage anywhere quite a few of the boys are complaining that they didn't get mail that they should have.  I just got in from sentry duty a little while ago & I'm glad that's over, that rifle is pretty heavy when you carry it on your shoulder for two hours it weighs about twelve pounds with the bayonet & bullets.  Well it's still very hot here & we feel it on the long marches.  The real test is coming next week when we get twenty mile night hikes, if I can stand up under that, I can stand anything.  Must close now as it's 11:30 and I have to clean that rifle and get to bed.

George

Tell the others to write

No comments:

Post a Comment