Thursday, November 7, 2013

February 28, 1943

From: Pvt. Geo. F. Gleasure 31157709, CoE. 12th Infantry, A.P.O. #4, U.S. Army, Camp Gordon, Augusta, Georgia.

To: Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street. Allston, Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa,-

I got your letter today & was glad it came because I've been anxious to find out whats been going on up there.  I'm glad to hear that Martha is coming along okay & hope that she continues to improve.  Get the adress of the place where she is so that I can write to her.  There is quite a few cases of that same disease here in the camp but there isn't much chance of it spreading because we are watched pretty close also we are being watched & have to go to the dispensary twice each day so there isn't much danger of any sickness getting ahead of them.  As for those letters that you tried to deliver, just let them sit till Martha gets home or send them to me but I think Martha will look after them when she is well enough because the girl will be in to see her.  I'm going over to the kitchen & see what I can get to eat  I slept through supper & nobody woke me up.  We don't get enough to eat half the time on account of that darn rationing, they tell you people back home to sacrifice foods so that the soliders can have it well we don't get it we even have to eat margarine in place of butter also we have a god damn rebel in the kitchen who hates like hell to give any body anything all he knows how to say is (no more) I had a couple of jams with him so far & if it helps me I'll get him outside someday & pound hell out of him.  A lot of the other boys feel the same way too.  Well there isn't much of interest to say from here so I'll close hoping to hear from you soon.  If I go I've got to send those shields home because I'm not allowed to keep them but before I send them I'll clip the points.

Luck

George

No comments:

Post a Comment