Thursday, February 11, 2016

September 9, 1943

To: Mr. Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston, Mass. (Boston)
From: Pvt. Geo. Gleasure 31157709, CoE. 12th Inf. A.P.O. #4, U.S. Army, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Dix, New Jersey

Dear Pa:-

I received your letter a few days ago and the newspapers arrived here yesterday.  Things are about the same as always with an exception of a possible move to Florida, it's not too definite yet & I hope they call it off because if we go down there, it will cost me plenty to get home & I haven't any too much as it is.  Has Martha gone to work yet?  I haven't heard from Madeline for some time now, so I think I'll write her when I finish this one.

Well, with Italy out of this mess, it looks as if the whole thing ought to be over this year, at least I hope so.  Did you hear much in the news about those two railroad wrecks last week?  All I could get was what the radio told about it.  I couldn't get much from the papers here in the line of news or pictures because these papers here are not very much good for news.  Well there isn't much more to write about so I'll close for now so don't forget to write soon so I'll get it before leaving here.

Luck,

George.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Ben and Kathleen. I look forward to reading some more of the very interesting Gleasure letters. The boredom, loneliness and futility of war is well delivered in these latest letters.

    ReplyDelete