Wednesday, February 10, 2016

August 31, 1943

To: Mr. Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston, Mass. (Boston)
From: Pvt. Geo. F. Gleasure 31157709, CoE 12th Inf. A.P.O. #4, 4th Inf. Div. Fort Dix, NJ, U.S. Army

Dear Pa:-

I wrote you just as soon as I got back into camp the nite I left & as yet I've received no answer so I'm writing again just in case you didn't get that letter. In fact I haven't heard from anybody at all back there at all.  Martha doesn't write anymore or Theresa or Jimmy either, if they don't care to write once in a while I wish they would say so, so that I won't be looking for letters every time the mail man comes in.  I'm not going to bother any further with writing to people who don't even answer your letters, this place is strain enough on the nerves without thinking about what's going on at home.

I received all newspapers & what few letters that were here when I came back so all the mail that I know of is here.  We have been out on the rifle range pretty regular lately & one day last week while we were out there, one of the fellows in a target pit a little way from where I was stuck his head up too high & got a bullet right between the eyes and it passed in through the front of his helmet, through his head & out through the back of the helmet & as a result they have been after us ever since to keep our heads down.

Did you see anything about that train wreck up in New York the other day?  They say that some dope locked a switch engine out onto the main line when that train come along.  Well this is about all for now so I'll close till later.

Luck,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment