Monday, March 7, 2016

October 15, 1943

From: Pvt. Geo. F. Gleasure, 31157709, Co. E 12th Inf. A.P.O.#4 U.S. Army, Camp Gordon Johnston, FL
To: Mr. Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston, Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa: -

I thought I had written to tell you that I arrived on time & okay but my mind & nerves are in such a state that I dont know whats going on half the time so Im writing this on to be sure. The weather here is hot & keeps one half dopey all the time & we had to go out on a 25 mile hike the day after I got back & before it was over there were plenty of them out at the side of the road, my feet were killing me but I kept on going because if you stop & fall out they make you get up & walk anyway so a guy is licked whatever way he turns here, you cant tell those people a darn thing & you cant beat them because its impossible. I could use a couple of dollars if you can spare it but if you cant dont bother because Ill get by some way but if you do send any just put it into a registered letter because Ive got to go over 100 miles to cash money orders or checks and thats too far.

Did Jimmy hear anymore about the money? Also tell the other to write me, Id write first only theres nothing of interest here so they have to ask the questions so that I can make the answers. Is it cold up there yet? Its hot as blazes here and I wish I was up there instead of in this hole. Well that is all for now so Ill close till I hear from you again.

Luck
Geo

P.S. Im sorry to have to ask for money & I wouldnt if I didnt need it

No comments:

Post a Comment